Friday, June 13, 2008

Gift Review - Padron 6000 Torpedo (Nat.)

Another in our ongoing series of occasional reviews of cigars given to us as gifts. Featured this time is the Padron 6000, given to me by club member Pat back in August of '07.

Vitola: Torpedo
Origin: Nicaragua
Length: 5 1/2"
Ring Gauge: 52
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua

Strength: Medium to Full
MSRP: $7.40

Produced by Orlando and Jorge Padron, it features a dark, rich looking Nicaraguan wrapper and a skilfully executed torpedo shape. The current Cigar Aficionado rating for it is 92.

Following Cigar Aficionado's 4-part rating system (Appearance & Construction, Flavor, Smoking Characteristics, and Overall Impression) I sat down to rate this cigar, in of all places: Las Vegas - while enjoying a margarita that I picked up at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, on the strip.

With a severe conical-shaped head, it appeared very well-constructed. To my great satisfaction, it drew and burned perfectly, so clearly roll quality was right on. This cigar could have produced a little more smoke for my liking and I also found the ash a little on the darker side of grey, but it was quite stable.

The flavor was of a dark, roasted sort of character, with a good amount of spice up front. Once that mellowed, I found it to be of medium strength through the first third, but would occasionally get these bursts of power that eluded to some serious flavors to look forward to. Through the second third, the flavor really ramped up, as expected, and I'll admit that the strength in the final third was just about too much for me. All in all, a great cigar smoking experience (need to get more of this brand).


My rating for the Padron 6000 is 87.
Here's the points breakdown:
I. Appearance & Construction: 15 pts (100% of the points possible)
II. Flavor: 21 pts (84% of the points possible)
III. Smoking Characteristics: 23 pts (92% of the points possible)
IV. Overall Impression: 28 pts (80% of the points possible)


--Update-- (11/5/08)
Just discovered that I errored when typing this review. The 6000 I smoked (above) was not a 'natural', but in fact a 'maduro'. My bad!
--FR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be sure to check out the vertical tasting of this series at Keepers of the Flame -- we're reviewing the whole series, natural and maduro, for the next several weeks. C'mon over!