Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gift Review – Cohiba Siglo I

Another in our ongoing series of occasional reviews of cigars given to us as gifts. Featured this time is the Cohiba Siglo I, given to me by club member John on June 18th.

Vitola: Demi Corona
Origin: Cuba
Length: 4”
Ring Gauge: 40
Filler: Cuba
Binder: Cuba
Wrapper: Cuba
Strength: Medium
MSRP: $11.00

Produced in Cuba by Habanos, S.A., it’s small and beautiful, but also a little bit rustic. There’s just something special about looking down at that Cohiba wrapper that makes it feel extra special. The current Cigar Aficionado rating for it is 88.

Following Cigar Aficionado's 4-part rating system (Appearance & Construction, Flavor, Smoking Characteristics, and Overall Impression) I sat down to rate this cigar while enjoying a glass of cognac.

Despite its slightly rustic exterior, it did appear rather well-constructed. I gave it perfect scores for texture, appearance, and roll quality; which was evident in its perfect burn. The draw was a tad tight, but perhaps appropriate for this small size to prevent me from going too fast with it. This cigar could have produced a little more smoke for my liking and I also found the ash a little on the darker side of grey, but it was quite stable.

The flavor was not particularly complex, for me, but I did detect some of the classic ‘grassy’ taste that I’ve had with previous Cubans. I found it to be of mild strength through the first third, with it eventually ramping up to a nice enjoyable medium body. The nub got pretty short on this little guy, while sitting with John out on his back deck enjoying a pleasant June evening.

My rating for the Cohiba Siglo I is 90.
Here's the points breakdown:
I. Appearance & Construction: 15 pts (100% of the points possible)
II. Flavor: 22 pts (88% of the points possible)
III. Smoking Characteristics: 22 pts (88% of the points possible)
IV. Overall Impression: 31 pts (89% of the points possible)

No comments: