Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Gift Review – My Father No. 4

Another in our ongoing series of occasional reviews of cigars given to us as gifts. Featured this time is the My Father No. 4, given to me by my good friends at 10-7ha back in January of this year.

Vitola: Lancero
Origin: Nicaragua
Length: 7 1/2”
Ring Gauge: 38
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuador
Body: Medium-to-Full
MSRP: $10.43

Blended by Jaime Garcia as a tribute to his father ‘Don Pepin’, it features a Habano seed Ecuadorian wrapper and a skillfully executed triple cap. The current Cigar Aficionado rating for it is 88 (Feb, 2009). As I stated in my previous review on the No.1 (robusto) perhaps the greatest significance of this new blend is it’s containing the new filler tobacco grown by the Garcias on their own farm in Nicaragua.

Following Cigar Aficionado's 4-part rating system (Appearance & Construction, Flavor, Smoking Characteristics, and Overall Impression) I sat down to rate this cigar while enjoying a glass of Scotch whiskey.









As was the case with the robusto, this was a specimen of the skill that few possess, like the Garcias do. The wrapper was gorgeous, the roll exhibited expert-level quality (more difficult with lanceros) and crowned with a perfect, pig-tail triple cap.

The draw was just a bit firm, which I find somewhat more appropriate for lanceros as a good limiter to keeping their slender ring gage from overheating. The burn was picture perfect the entire time, though I would liked to have seen thicker smoke come through. The ash was uniform and lightly shaded, but not as stable as others I’ve seen; perhaps a product of the smaller ring gage.

The flavor started out of spicy earth, then mellowed to toasty, with an underlying white pepper. In the second half, leather dominated, culminating in a cayenne and wood ending.

My rating for the My Father No. 4 is 89. An excellent cigar.
Here's the points breakdown:
I. Appearance & Construction: 15 pts (100% of the points possible)
II. Flavor: 22 pts (88% of the points possible)
III. Smoking Characteristics: 21 pts (84% of the points possible)
IV. Overall Impression: 31 pts (89% of the points possible)

My final impression is of a cigar that was a great performer, was medium body in the first half, medium-to-full in the second half, and rallied to a complex ending.

© 2009 The Cohiba Club - All rights reserved.

No comments: