Thursday, March 12, 2009

Gift Review – My Father No. 1

Another in our ongoing series of occasional reviews of cigars given to us as gifts. Featured this time is the My Father No. 1, given to me by my good friends at 10-7ha back in January.

Vitola: Robusto
Origin: Nicaragua
Length: 5 ¼”
Ring Gauge: 52
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuador
Body: Medium to Full
MSRP: $10.00

Blended by Jaime Garcia as a tribute to his father ‘Don Pepin’, it features a habano seed Ecuadorian wrapper and a skillfully executed triple cap. The current Cigar Aficionado rating for it is 93. Perhaps the greatest significance of this new blend is it’s containing of filler tobacco grown by the Garcia’s on their own farm in Nicaragua.


Following Cigar Aficionado's 4-part rating system (Appearance & Construction, Flavor, Smoking Characteristics, and Overall Impression) I sat down to rate this cigar while enjoying a glass of winter ale.

Influence of Pepin’s impeccable quality standards were evident upon examination of the cigar’s construction. Wrapper texture and firmness of roll were wonderful, though the wrapper’s cosmetic appearance was a bit rustic. To my slight disappointment, the draw got firmer as the experience progressed and the burn did get a little crooked as well. This cigar could have produced a little more smoke for my liking. I also found the ash a little on the darker side of grey and it fell a little sooner that I would have expected. So I have to say that the performance was a bit of a let-down.

The flavor was quite smooth through the first third, and can be best described (for me) as ‘spice’ yielding to leather as it moved into the middle portion. Then in the final third the cigar seemed to come to life; producing floral and citrus notes before culminating in a spicy ending. All in all, an okay cigar smoking experience that left me feeling like I need to give this brand another go.

My rating for the My Father No. 1 is 86. A very good cigar.
Here's the points breakdown:
I. Appearance & Construction: 14 pts (93% of the points possible)
II. Flavor: 22 pts (88% of the points possible)
III. Smoking Characteristics: 20 pts (80% of the points possible)
IV. Overall Impression: 30 pts (86% of the points possible)

Click on images to enlarge.

© 2009 The Cohiba Club All rights reserved.

No comments: