Friday, August 22, 2008

Gift Review - Havana Dreams 'Datil'

Another in our ongoing series of occasional reviews of cigars given to us as gifts. Featured this time is the Havana Dreams ‘Datil’, given to me by club member Robert back in November of 2007.

Vitola: Robusto
Origin: Tampa
Length: 5”
Ring Gauge: 50
MSRP: $5.00

Produced in Tampa’s Ybor City by Cuban refugee Lazaro Rodriguez, it features a somewhat rustic looking wrapper that’s still pleasingly crafted.

Following Cigar Aficionado's 4-part rating system (Appearance & Construction, Flavor, Smoking Characteristics, and Overall Impression) I sat down to rate this cigar while enjoying a glass of scotch.

With a pretty toothy texture, it comes off looking a little rough, but the roll quality was fine. This cigar drew a little tight, but it burned perfectly; which surprised me. I guess the appearance just didn’t give me confidence that it would perform well – but it did. The amount of smoke and the build of the ash were ok.

The flavors started out with a sweetness on the lips that had me wondering if they dip the tips in sugar. I didn’t come away from it recalling discernable flavors and it never really wowed me, but it was just a nice average cigar. If anything, it left me intrigued; ultimately I suppose that I really need to try more of them one day.

My rating for the Havana Dreams ‘Datil’ robusto is 84. A very good cigar.
Here's the points breakdown:
I. Appearance & Construction: 14 pts (93% of the points possible)
II. Flavor: 20 pts (80% of the points possible)
III. Smoking Characteristics: 22 pts (88% of the points possible)
IV. Overall Impression: 28 pts (80% of the points possible)

No comments: